Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What we've been up to

So lately I've been on a sewing kick.  No, I'm not an experienced sewer, but I thought I'd try my hand at a skirt for Hannah.  Hannah wasn't so into the dress up and photo shoot, but after some struggling, seam adjustments, more struggling, and distractions, I finally got a couple pictures of the completed project on the model.  Don't look too closely . . . and remember it's my first time!  (Okay, I stand corrected.  I have done it before, but that was over 8 years ago!)



On another note . . . Tommy is the defender of the world!

Watch out evil-doers.

13 comments:

Carrie Medford said...

I think Hannah's hair gets longer every time I see a new picture. Good job on the skirt! I admire your sewing debut. I don't know if I'll ever get into sewing. And I hope Tommy is defending my world! He looks tough--I don't want to mess with that!

Strong Family - said...

It's great! Poor Savannah will probably never own anything I've sewn for her. I'll make her a jean quilt. :-) Lauree

Strong Family - said...

That's some fine sewin' there, Mel. Makes me remember the time I sewed myself some pajama shorts with teddy bears and balloons. I guess that's what happens when a boy grows up with 4 sisters. And Carrie--see? there's nothing wrong with Matthew occasionally doing feminine things like dressing up in women's clothes. I'm sure he'll turn out fine just like I did.... :-)
-Dallin

Rachel said...

Didn't we make skirts in college? Now I am starting to not be able to remember my youth, because it could just have easily been Amy. Either way, it is a cute skirt and you should be proud!

Melinda said...

Rachel, you're right! I had totally forgotten those skirts. Where did we get the sewing machines?

Rachel said...

That's what I was wondering. I have no idea. I don't even remember making them, I just remember wearing them. I had a red skirt with little flowers and I thought I was so cool.

Amy E. said...

Impressive-where do you find the time???? My children are lucky if they have clean clothes-ha-ha

Melinda said...

Amy, you also have twice as many kids as I do, with busier schedules! And, sometimes I drop the things I should be doing to do the things I want to do.

Charis said...

You inspire me :-) I got a sewing machine for christmas and have yet to use it. It's been years since I sewed anything. Unless I have Andy's mom right next to me I am too nervous to do anything. Good for you for trying something new, well, again! We're excited to see you guys next week :-)

Stephanie said...

Cute skirt! I'm excited to have you over to help with my project(s?) Do you have a pattern?

Autumn said...

It looks like you did a great job! Was it all worth it? I do not enjoy sewing. Little projects that I don't have to follow a pattern are ok. But I don't do well with following directions. :)

Kearl said...

Your skirt looks great. I've been working on 4 Superman capes for about a month. I can't wait to get around to finishing them.

3 South Chub Club said...

I love it! You are a great seamstress, I remember clearly you making a beautiful puff quilt for YW and then I got to sleep by it when I came to visit ya at BYU. You've got the skills!