Wednesday, September 29, 2010

MOTHERHOOD

fatigue
endless exhaustion
whining, screaming, fighting
diapers, spit-up, drool, mysterious messes
nighttime sickness, worry, medicine, doctors
making dinner, scrubbing, fingerprints, potty training
kissing boo boos, wiping tears, mending hearts and feelings
first smiles, first giggles, first steps, first day of school
hugs, slobbery kisses, snugging with a story
tickle monsters, laughter,  games, fun
magic, belief, trust, wonder
forever relationships
eternal love
joy

6 comments:

Ronya said...

amen

Natalie Strong said...

From those adjectives, I am glad I'm not a mom.

Stephanie said...

Nice haiku! You must've had a great english teacher :)

It really is true...good thing there are other moms (and sisters) out there to share all our concerns and mothering problems with.

Melinda said...

I didn't mean for it to sound all bad! Yes, there are definitely hard, hard things, but the second half is all good!!! No, really, I'm grateful to my friends and sisters who let me vent to them. It is all worth it, and I love my kids. :)

Annie said...

Excellent. I like that it starts out with the tough stuff. Sometimes it's easiest to think of those things. Then one little, but great thing happens, and it can change your perspective, and remind you of all the good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I love that! You always were a great poet! I still remember Doc Glock's class and your "Jabber-Jockey" poem!
I'm glad I'm a Mom, even though it's tough, cause there really is no greater joy and prize in life than family! Thanks for the beautiful reminder. ;)