Saturday, July 11, 2009

Clean Sweep

Have you ever seen the show Clean Sweep?  You know, the one where they take a cluttered space, clean it up, and redo it?  Well, Tommy's room was in desperate need of a clean sweep.  

Since Jake has been born, I have been in survival mode.  I am not known for having good, easy babies, so Jake has understandably been taking up a lot of my time and energy.  Because of this, I have had to let some things "go."  Well, one of the things to go was my enforcement of Tommy picking up his room.  After 5 and a half weeks, this was the result:

Closet.


This is the view from the doorway.  When I went to check on him at night, I would see this and often opt not to enter his room to tuck him in and give him his customary kiss on the head.

The Corner:  When I would tell Tommy to pick up his room, his solution was to throw all of his toys up in this corner.

Honestly, I'm a little embarrassed posting these pictures.  The rest of my house doesn't look like that---really!

This weekend my boys went to Seattle to be with Tim's family because his parents just came home from their mission.  Yay!  I took this opportunity to get this room cleaned up.  it took 3 days (remember, I'm working with a 2 year old and a newborn here!), but I got it done!

I got rid of an almost full black garbage bag of trash filled with old broken toys and "collections" of paper, wood, etc.  I also got about half a bag of things to donate to Goodwill.  I raised his bed and put more storage under it.  And finally, I got new shelving to keep his toys organized.  Here is the after:


Closet with new shelving.

Ahhh . . . isn't this so much better?


See the corner in the back?  Is it the same one as before?

Now we just need to make it stay this way and I will be able to tuck him in without worrying about tripping over something!


8 comments:

Carrie Medford said...

Looks great! I hope Tommy doesn't get lost when he comes home because his room looks totally different!

ashley said...

way to go Melinda!!! i love that show... and what you have accomplished with a newborn and a 2 year old. Wonderwoman!!! Love ya!

ashley {jones} nelson

The Northwest Pugh's said...

Way to go Super Mom!!! We missed you this weekend, but we did have a great time with the two T's. Hope we can get down soon and see you and the rest of the kids.

Ronya said...

I think I need to hire you to come over to my house. You are amazing!! looks so good!!
Tanya

Larson Famdango said...

way to go Mel! There is nothing like a good clean sweep! We missed you this weekend! I hope tim is feeling better! We love you guys!

Kearl said...

That was inspirational. I have a couple areas of the house that aren't up to par since #3 came along too. I need a clean sweep too- want to come visit?

Amy E. said...

How did you raise his bed? And did you assemble the closet stuff yourself? Assembling always confuses me...

Melinda said...

The bed had a space for two levels, low or high. We'd had it on low since he first got it so that if he rolled off it wouldn't hurt.

I did assemble the shelves myself. It came from Target and wasn't too hard to do.

I hope Tanner is feeling better. I'm glad you got him in quickly. Sorry we spread our germs!