Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Crash!

So, I'm more than a little upset right now. A week and a half ago our computer crashed. On Friday I received a call letting me know that the hard drive was irreparably damaged and would have to be replaced. The last time I backed up my computer was almost exactly a year ago, so pretty much anything since then is lost. I only have a handful of pictures of Jake now, and seeing the pictures of Hannah from a year ago that I just downloaded brought some tears to my eyes, because she is so much bigger now! The ironic thing is that Tim and I had just been talking about registering with an online back-up service. If anybody has any pictures of my kids within the last year, will you please email them to me?

And learn from my mistake and back up your computer.

7 comments:

Kathryn said...

Hey, if you do an online back-up, we just started one. It's Mozy. If you enter BESTOFMONTH you get 26% off. It'll take weeks for the initial back-up, but worth not having anxiety attacks that I might loose everything.

I really wish I had loads of pictures to give you. Sorry. That really really stinks.

Coordination Queen said...

I bought a portable hard drive a couple weeks ago because I was starting to get paranoid about losing all of the pictures.

I'm sorry you lost your pictures.

Rachel said...

Oh, I am so sorry. On the plus side, I am a third child and there are about two or three pictures of me as a baby. So it's perfectly normal.

Kearl said...

Oh, I'm so sorry Melinda. This has been one of my biggest fears too. And we've had enough computer problems to justify the concern. One thing that we do is to put all of the pictures on Costco cds. I want to get a fireproof box to save them in too (right now, I just tell Derek that if there is ever a fire to save the kids and then save the photo cd box), but honestly the chances of a fire are super low- computer problems are more likely.

Amy Rindy said...

Oh my goodness, that is SO SAD! That is such a fear of mine, too. I'm so sorry and hope you get a hold of some more pictures from others!

dallin said...

That stinks. I got an external hard drive that connects to the computer via the USB port and have a Windows program set to automatically back up our data on a weekly basis. I know u guys have (or had) a Mac, they might have a similar feature. We may have some pictures of your kids somewhere, I'll have to check. Good luck...

Melinda said...

I know Lauree sent me some pictures from your trip in July. I'm sure we'll get some kind of external hard drive or online service now. Thanks!